Requisition ID: req10056 Job Title: Construction Officer Sector: Supply Chain Employment Category: Fixed Term Employment Type: Full-Time Open to Expatriates: No Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Job Description Background/IRC
Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
Job Overview/Summary: The Assistant construction Engineer will support Engineer IRC Nigeria on the efficient coordination and management of the construction project with all IRC Nigeria support and program function in compliance with IRC and donor regulations. Key responsibilities Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria with the following which include Engineering Designs, Drawings and Bills of Quantities, construction Contract Management, supervision and procurement of services and reporting. The position would report to the Engineer IRC Nigeria.
Major Responsibilities: Engineering Designs, Drawings and Bills of Quantities
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to produce appropriate technical & engineering sketches and produce relevant engineering drawings/designs for programs and operations. Such Buildings include but not limited to, classrooms, Clinics, Nutrition centers, Comprehensive Women Centers (CWCs), offices, Stores, walkways, VIP Latrines, Bathing shelters, Security guard shelters, Pump houses, Incinerators, water distribution networks, Water storage tank towers, Underground water tanks, drainage works, Drilling of boreholes, septic tanks, soak pits among others.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to develop technically sound engineering structural designs both for program and operation constructions as per the Nigerian Building Code and other internationally recognized building standards.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to prepare schedule of materials and Bills of Quantities for the relevant designs and submit for approvals.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to conduct feasibility studies, engineering surveys and measurements necessary for the design, construction as well as for purposes of rehabilitation of existing structures while maintaining up to date database with GPS Coordinates, location maps and route plans of all infrastructure projects.
- Participate in baseline surveys or rapid assessments to establish existing gaps, priorities, capacity and justification for intended/proposed project.
Contract Management and procurement of services and Materials
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to prepare all required documentations needed for the tendering, procurement, contract signing and monitoring of the various works and services.
- Maintain electronic and hard copies of all documents pertaining each construction project.
- Assist in prequalification of construction contractors
- Support in the review of construction SWOR Analysis
- Supervise construction activities in close coordination with and other relevant Sector colleagues.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to conduct regular site visits while providing technical instructions and guidance to the contractors with clear documentation of the same.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to Develop clear work plan and monitoring plan for carrying out field monitoring visits accompanied with a detailed weekly construction progress report.
- Assist Engineer IRC Nigeria to Sample and verify suitability of materials in relation to the proposed engineering specifications, recommended quality during delivery to the IRC stores.
M&E and Reporting
- Provide weekly and monthly construction technical updates to the Engineer IRC Nigeria.
Others Any other ad hoc duties as may be assigned by the Engineer IRC Nigeria and SC Coordinator that is consistent with the nature of the job
Job Working Relationships: Position Reports to: Engineer IRC Nigeria Position directly supervises: Engineer IRC Nigeria Indirect Reporting: Supply Chain Manager/Coordinator, Program sectors Qualifications Minimum Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Technology, Building Technology, Architecture with at least 2 years of proven, continuous, active practical experience in building designs, construction supervision and contract management.
Computer literacy in MS Word, Excel and Power point,
Proficiency in AutoCAD, ArchiCAD and any other architectural design software.
Flexibility, teamwork spirit and sensitivity to the socio-cultural setting of NE Nigeria.
Good communication skills and command of English, both written and verbal. Working Environment: Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri is calm at the moment but remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality. There is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.